Who doesn't love a Croque Madame - treat yourself to a delicious breakfast tomorrow!
- 11/3 cups (320g) sour cream
- 200g Swiss-style cheese, grated
- 8 slices Helga’s Light Rye Bread
- 300g sliced smoked ham, torn
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 4 eggs
- 100g mixed salad leaves, to serve
- Preheat grill on high. Line a baking tray with lightly greased foil.
- Combine sour cream and half the cheese in a small bowl; season.
- Place 4 slices of bread on prepared tray. Spread a third of the cream mixture over slices; top with ham. Spread remaining bread slices with half the remaining cream mixture; place, cream-side down, over ham. Spread top of sandwiches with remaining cream mixture; sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Place sandwiches under grill for 7 minutes or until cheese is golden.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Break eggs into pan; cook for 5 minutes or until whites are set and yolks are cooked to your liking.
- Top each croque madame with an egg; season. Serve with mixed salad leaves.
Swap: For an Italian-style variation, use prosciutto instead of ham and add sliced tomato and basil leaves in at step 3.
Tip: To turn this into a croque monsieur, serve it without the eggs.