Steak Sandwiches with Caramelised Fennel
Treat yourself to these mouth watering Steak Sandwiches with Caramelised Fennel. If you don't have fennel on hand, you can use two large red onions instead!
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium fennel bulbs (600g), sliced thinly
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 x 200g scotch fillet steaks
- 8 slices Helga’s Traditional Wholemeal Bread
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 60g baby rocket leaves
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes (180g), sliced
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook fennel and garlic, stirring, for 8 minutes or until soft and slightly caramelised. Season.
- Meanwhile, cut each steak horizontally to make 4 thin steaks. Season. Cook beef on a heated oiled grill plate or barbecue over high heat for 1 minute each side or until cooked to your liking. Remove from heat; rest, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Toast bread until golden. Combine mustard, lemon juice and remaining oil in a small bowl; season to taste.
- Top 4 toast slices with rocket, tomato, steak and fennel. Drizzle with the mustard dressing; sandwich with remaining toast slices.
Swap: Use 2 large red onions (600g) instead of the fennel.