Prosciutto & Mozzarella Squares
Who doesn't love a crumbly, cheesy, bite sized treat! These Prosciutto & Mozzarella Squares are ready in only 30 mins.
- 6 slices Helga’s Traditional White Bread
- 3 slices prosciutto (45g)
- ½ x 200g tub fresh mozzarella, drained, sliced thinly
- 2 eggs, beaten lightly
- 1/3 cup (80ml) milk
- 1½ cups (110g) panko (Japanese) breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil, for shallow frying
- 1 medium lemon (140g)
- 50g butter
- 2 tbsp baby capers
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed (optional)
- ¼ cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- lemon wedges, to serve
- Lay a sheet of baking paper on a chopping board; top with bread slices. Divide prosciutto and mozzarella between three slices; sandwich with the remaining bread slices. Cut each sandwich into 4 squares.
- Combine the eggs and milk in a shallow bowl. Place breadcrumbs in another bowl. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Working with one square at a time, holding tightly so filling does not fall out, dip into egg mixture; drain off excess. Dip into breadcrumbs; turn to coat all over. Place on lined tray. Repeat with remaining squares.
- Heat vegetable oil in large frying pan over medium-high heat; cook squares, in batches, turning, for 4 minutes or until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Remove rind from lemon with a zester; reserve. Squeeze juice from lemon; you will need 2 tbsp juice. Heat butter in large frying pan over high heat until frothy. Reduce heat to low-medium. Cook capers and garlic, stirring, for 1 minute or until golden. Add lemon juice; cook for 2 minutes or until warm and fragrant. Stir in parsley and half the lemon rind; season.
- Place squares on a serving dish; pour over caper sauce. Top with remaining lemon rind. Serve with lemon wedges.
Serving Idea: For an umami hit add 4 chopped anchovies with the capers and garlic in step 4.
Tip: If you don’t have a zester, coarsely grate the lemon rind instead.